Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display
Skip to content

The School Liaison Officer (SLO) serves as the primary liaison between Hawaii’s community schools, commanders, and military parents pertaining to K-12 education.  The SLO also implements the K-12 education aspect of the Commander Navy Region Hawaii Strategic Engagement Plan.

The School Liaison Officer provides information to families, organizations, and commands regarding youth educational and transitional issues.  Most military children move up to nine times in their PreK-12th grade years.  Retention of educational goals is a major focus for families when planning to PCS. The School Liaison Officers can offer information on area schools and help facilitate communication between the military family on matters relating to public and private schools as well as home schooling.


Why School Liaison Officers?
o        Families move an average of every 2.9 years
o        Children attend up to 9 different schools by graduation
o        Families experience increased stress related to deployment during wartime


The JBPHH School Liaison Officer provides SEVEN CORE SERVICES to assist families:


  1. School Transition Services (PCS Cycle): School Liaison Officers assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.
  2. Deployment Support: School Liaison Officers connect educators with the deployment support system to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy & Air Force children.
  3. Command, School, Community Communications: School Liaison Officers serve as subject-matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect command, school and community resources.
  4. Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaison Officers assist Navy & Air Force families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts, and help leverage Navy Child and Youth Programs resources to support these families.
  5. Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.
  6. Post-Secondary Preparations: School Liaison Officers leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
  7. Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaison Officers provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.


Office Address: 

Bldg. 1283 Tartar Drive

Barking Sands, HI  96752

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.




Schools in Hawaii start first week of August and end last week of May

To enroll your child, you may do so by going to the front office of the school.  Offices are open Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and are closed on holidays. After all paperwork is submitted, your child should be able to start school in approximately two days. You do not need to wait for permanent housing for your child to start school; they can attend a temporary school in the meantime.


Students must attend the school that serves the geographic area where they reside. You can search using our SchoolSite Locator tool — when you enter an address, that will generate service boundaries for that area's elementary, middle and high school. Please contact the school directly to verify it is the correct school, as service boundaries can change. For a list of Navy/Air Force Housing and Schools associated with that housing, please see the School Zones Tab.


Hawaii Enrollment Requirements


Please check with the school office first as they may have their own forms for families to fill out. Commonly, the following documents and forms are required to enroll a child in our schools. Read further down for details.

·     Enrollment Form

·     Student Information Update Form

·     Student Health Record

o     Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance (Acceptable Clearance)

o     A completed student health record (Form 14) that included

§     Physical examinations (PE)

§     All required immunizations or

§     A signed statement or a medical appointment card from your child’s doctor to prove that your child is in the process of completing missing immunizations or PE

o     Immunization requirements: starting with School Year 2020-21 additional immunizations will be required. Learn more from the Hawaii State Department of Health.

·     Birth Certificate

·     Proof of current address

o     Documentation by the parent or legal guardian that the child resides at an address within the school’s attendance boundary. Preferred documentation to establish proof of residence includes the following. A school may request one or more of the following be provided:

§     Rental/lease agreement, mortgage document, or current real property assessment document in the parent/guardian's name. A signed and accepted offer to a lease agreement from the leasing office is acceptable, if the following are included: Parent/legal guardian's name and signature with date of acceptance; residential address; effective date of offer; available unit date; and, deadline to respond date.

§     Utility bill for water, electric, gas or telephone that indicates that the billing is in the parent/guardian’s name and is being sent to the house; and

§     If the parent or legal guardian cannot provide documentation of legal residence because the parent/legal guardian is living with a relative/friend, a notarized statement by the relative/friend can be accepted by the school with the following stipulation: (a) Notarized statement must state that the parent/legal guardian and child are living with the relative/friend; (b) Notarized statement must state the name of relative/friend that is on the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence; (c) Notarized statement must state the same address of relative/friend that is on the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence; (d) A copy of the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence must be attached to the notarized statement; and (e) Notarized statement must be signed by same name of relative/friend that is on the relative/friend’s proof of legal residence.

·     Documents from a previous school

o     These can include a release packet with an unofficial transcript or latest report card, and for special education students, the Individual Education Plan.

·     Legal documents

o     Documents may include:

§     Power of Attorney if the child is not living with the parents.

§     Temporary Restraining Order.

§     Guardianship documents.

§     Legal name change.

§     Court orders.​

Hawaii Enrolling in Kindergarten

Children who are 5 years old by July 31 enroll in kindergarten for that school year. For example, children who are 5 years old by July 31, 2020 enroll in kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year. Children who turn 5 on August 1 or later enroll the following school year (2021-22).


Kindergarten was made mandatory on May 1, 2014. Act 76 amended the Hawaii Revised Statutes, Section 302A-411 and 302A-1132, which also list exemptions from mandatory attendance.


For more information, please read Hawaii Public Schools Frequently Asked Questions and Kindergarten General Learning Outcome Rubric.

Hawaii Homeschooling

The Department has a legitimate interest in and responsibility for the appropriate education of all school age children in the State of Hawaii and recognizes homeschooling as an alternative to compulsory school attendance. Homeschooling is a parent-initiated educational alternative.


You will need to submit a Exceptions to Compulsory Education (Form 4140) or a letter of intent to homeschool to the school your home address is zoned for.


Click here for more information.

Hawaii Geographical Exceptions

Under Hawaii laws, all persons attending public school are required to attend the school in the geographic area in which they reside. However, permission to attend another school may be granted by the Department.

Click here for more information.

Hawaii Extra-Curricular Activities

Extracurricular activities are essential for students to stay active and keep learning after the bell rings. It allows children to explore different interests, engage in leadership roles such as student government, join clubs and athletic programs, and participate in many other educational opportunities. Students are also encouraged to explore the Contests & Enrichment section under Parents & Students for more opportunities. For detailed information about Hawaii Public Schools Extra-Curricular Activities; including Student Leadership and Athletics. Click here for more information.

Hawaii Graduation Requirements

Requirements to achieve a diploma from Hawaii's public high schools for the Class of 2016 and beyond are detailed in this brochure, click here for more information.

Hawaii Common Core Standards

Hawaii Common Core Standards define the knowledge and skills students need to succeed in college and careers when they graduate. They align with college and workforce expectations, are clear and consistent, include rigorous content and application of knowledge through higher-order skills, are evidence-based, and are informed by standards in top-performing countries.

Click here for Frequently Asked Questions or here for more information on Common Core Standards.

Hawaii GPA Fact Sheet

Click here for more information on calculating GPA

Hawaii School Meal Program

The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program in public and nonprofit private schools and residential childcare institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program is administered locally by the Department's School Food Services Branch.

The Department's School Food Services Branch has a web-based site that will provide families with the option to submit applications free and Reduced-Price Meal Benefits online. The online program will walk parents and guardians through an easy step-by-step application process. Schools will continue to forward eligibility notifications to households. 

Click here for more information on meal prices, income eligibility and the online application.

Hawaii Special Education

Special Education is specially designed instruction and services to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities, and can include academic services, speech-language services, psychological services, physical and occupational therapy, and counseling services.  The Department provides these services at no cost to families to anyone aged 3 to 22 who demonstrates a need for specially designed instruction, after an eligibility determination. 

Click here for more information on Special Education.

Hawaii School Transportation

The Department provides bus service in neighborhoods around the islands to ensure broad access to educational opportunity for Hawaii’s students. Learn more about price, eligibility information, and download ridership application forms.

Click here for more information on school transportation.

Hawaii Private School Information

Click here for more information on Hawaii Private Schools.

Hawaii Charter School Information

Hawai'i's public charter schools are operated and managed by independent governing boards. They operate under a performance contract with the State Public Charter School Commission. If you're interested in learning more about Hawaii's charter schools, please connect with the Charter School Commission.

Click here for more information on Hawaii Charter Schools.

Kekaha Elementary -

Waimea Canyon Middle School -

Waimea High School -

*Before & After School Care

Navy Child and Youth Programs before and after school program for grades K-6 services the following schools;

  • Kekaha Elementary
  • Waimea Canyon Middle School
  • Waimea High School

All spaces are based on a priority status and you must create an account on  and request care.

*Note PMRF CYP does not currently offer Before School Care


Special Education is specially designed instruction and services to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities and can include academic services, speech-language services, psychological services, physical and occupational therapy, and counseling services.  The Department provides these services at no cost to families to anyone aged 3 to 22 who demonstrates a need for specially designed instruction, after an eligibility determination. 


If you are PCSing with an IEP/504 Plan, please make sure it is current. You may want to request from your sending school a transitional IEP/504 plan. Once you know which school you will attend, it may be helpful to reach out to the school to discuss supports for your child(ren).


Hawaii Department of Education Website


JBPHH EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program)

EFMP liaisons are located at Fleet and Family Support Centers and provide information and referral to help EFM families identify and access appropriate military, national and community resources. They assist in the navigation of EFMP related programs and systems and are responsible for;

·     Provision of information, referral and systems navigation to special needs families

·     Linking families with military, national and local community resources

·     Non-medical case management

·     Development and maintenance of Individualized Service Plans (ISP)

·     Partner with Military Treatment Facility (MTF) Coordinators to provide information, education and marketing

Click here for more information.

Exceptional Family Member Program- Contact Information:  (808) 474-1999 or email


School Liaison Officer Documents 

School information packet

HI Student Health Record


School Liaison Officer Newsletter

July 2021

April 2021

January 2021


Interstate Compact on Education Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3)


Transitioning (PCS)

MFSC Transition Assistance

School Move Check List

MyNavy App Portal


Special Needs/EFMP  (Specialized Training of Military Parents (STOMP) (Special Parent Information Network: Hawaii, Parent Guide)  (Special Parent Information Network: Hawaii)  (Leadership in Disabilities & Achievement of Hawaii)  (Pacer Center, Champions for Children with Disabilities)


The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)


Hawaii Department of Education


Academic Support (SAT/ACT Preparation) (Test Prep Hawaii Libraries)




Military School Liaisons-All Branches


National Military Family Association (MNFA)


FOCUS (Families Over Coming Under Stress)









1. Are there any Department of Defense (DOD) schools in Hawaii?

No, all public schools are part of the Hawaii Department of Education. Hawaii is unique as there is only one statewide public school system in this state.  School Principals report to their designated Complex Area Superintendents, who in turn, report to the State Superintendent of the Hawaii Department of Education (HIDOE).  There are no independent school districts in Hawaii. 

2. We are PCSing to Hawaii; what school can my child attend?

Your child must attend school in the district where you live. See the School Site Locator tool: ool/Pages/home.aspx.

For families hoping to live in Navy Family Housing, see the following for a list of schools per housing area:

For families hoping to live in Air Force (Hickam) Housing who have elementary school (ES) aged children, there are 3 ESs (Hickam, Mokulele, & Nimitz) depending on your house location. Aliamanu Middle and Radford High Schools are the other schools for Hickam Housing.

3. What do I need to register my child for school in Hawaii?

Required registration documents are listed at: /Pages/home.aspx.

4. Can we pre-enroll our child for school before we arrive in Hawaii?

No, as the school your child can attend will be dependent on where you will live.

5. My child is currently in a gifted and talented program; will the new school in Hawaii accept his/her continued placement in the gifted and talented program?

Your child’s new school shall initially honor placement in educational programs based on current educational assessments conducted at your previous state’s school or participation and placement in like programs in the sending state; provided these programs exist in the new school. Programs include but are not limited to gifted and talented programs and English as a second language programs. Initial placement shall not preclude the new school from performing subsequent evaluations to ensure your child’s appropriate placement. The new school may allow attendance at similar courses in the school district if it doesn’t offer such educational programs.

6. My high school child is currently taking honors/AP classes; can he/she continue in Hawaii?

Yes, see response to question 4 above.

7. I have a special needs child with an (IEP); will the new school honor this IEP?

The new school shall initially provide comparable services to a student with disabilities based on the current IEP. Additionally, the school shall make reasonable accommodations and modifications to address the needs of incoming students with disabilities, subject to an existing section 504 or Title II Plan, to provide the student with equal access to education. The school can perform subsequent evaluations to ensure appropriate placement of the student.

8. I received family housing; can my child stay in his/her school for the rest of the school year?

State law requires a student to attend the school in the geographic area of your residential location. GE requests to remain in this school may be considered by the current school principal.

9. How can I apply for a geographic exception (GE) so my child a school outside of our district?

See GE request procedures at: phic-exceptions.aspx.

10. Is kindergarten (K) full-day, and what are the age requirements for kindergarten attendance?

K is full-day and mandatory for children who turn age 5 by July 31

( rten/Pages/home.aspx).

11. When does school start and end?

Schools start the first week of August and end the last week of May.

12. What are the requirements for home schooling my child?

Parents must submit a notice of intent with the local public school principal via DOE Form 4140

( hool/Pages/Homeschooling-FAQs.aspx) or a letter with the required information. See and for more information.

13. How do I find out information regarding private schools in Hawaii?

Many private schools are part of Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (

14. What about public charter schools?

Check out

15. Are there free tutoring services for military children?

Yes at Real tutors helping in over 80 subjects.

Please call the School Liaison Office at (808) 306-9247 or email at for more info and see and join the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Child & Youth Programs Facebook group at resources and updates.


Relocating to PMRF?

Moves can be stressful. We’ve gathered some important information for you to ease the transition.


Facility Directory

Quickly find the number, location, or hours of operation for our facilities.



Break the ICE! Tell us how we’re doing. Rate your experience at our facilities.


About Us

Greatlifehawaii is here to provide you all the information you need on programs and activities by MWR, Family Support, Wounded Warrior and Housing programs.


Contact Us

Have a question, comment or feedback on our website, let us know.



Partner with Navy MWR to enhance events for our military community while gaining valuable promotional benefits for your business.


Job Opportunities

Join our team! Check out our great opportunities with great benefits.



Subscribe to our many FREE points of contact including our monthly magazine, eCalendar, email lists, social media links and more!



Check out the magazine full of information on the latest events and activities along with an archive of past issues.

Back to top